10/16/10

Basic Space.

In Seattle, the air smelled like salt and clams and basil and crisp autumn leaves. The loveliest smells, the warmest smells on the coldest of mornings. We drove past callow gardens with red and blue birdhouses. Walked beneath crossroads with spiderweb cables, guiding swerving metro buses. Stepped over manholes where steam seeped from the underground city. Fish scales lined the walls above galleries and pale strings hung limply from tree limbs. We drove from the forest hideaways, away from the most darling of twins. I wondered if business ever brought you to Seattle and I wept when I thought of the souvenir gifts that I couldn't hand to you and the letters I had been writing but never slipped into the mailbox. I made Peter feel the hollow spots in my hands, the places where tiny birds could make a nest for little robin eggs. Between the bones. Middle finger-forefinger nests. I snapped photos of the lumber factories, the steel factories, and the cement factories. Man-made pleasantries in the middle of somewhere. I drank chamomile lavender tea and coconut black tea and raspberry Italian soda in the loveliest cafes. We drenched ourselves in hotel hot tubs in our underthings because we had forgotten swimsuits. I whispered goodbye to the sea when we stepped off four wooden posts.
On the way home, we drove from the outskirts of Portland alongside the yellow lights of steam boats and white sails. The basic spaces of my skin and three sleeping bodies, my skin and the road. I came over the top of a midnight hill, the top of the world perhaps, and I saw a thousand blinking red lights. I've missed you, I thought. Hello, hello, hello they blinked to me.  I stared at my face in the rear-view mirror for a moment, I looked so pale, so washed out. You ghostly thing, I thought. We hid away on the interstate and I thanked Peter and Chelsey and Sean for the loveliest three days away from home.

11 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful write...so much in two paragraphs not one word wasted...the image of the hollow spot in your hand...love it!! ...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  2. The northwest coast of North America has a haunting enchanted quality - just like your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. The descriptions were just the essence of autumn and North America, two things I've been missing lately. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i.love.your.writing.
    some ingredient in it makes my bones stronger, eyes brighter and heart lighter.. this heart longing to be in seattle.
    im happy for you, Madison. so very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Seattle: city in the woods; the Puget Sound; those wonderful people. I hate Seattle: city in the rain; the mold; the tears. An elegant equilibrium of salt and mud, until the sunlamp blows. :):(:):(

    ReplyDelete
  6. your post makes one feel like spring water, beautiful and refreshing...
    have a fun Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am working on placing your link to Jingle Poetry blog roll,
    I have been occupied by so many stuff, sorry for being late. it will appear within a week.
    your poetry rocks.
    keep it coming...

    write a poem related to 7 sins, link to our potluck today.
    Thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful writing.very thought provoking. really great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/6244/

    Thanks a lot for the support to Jingle Poetry Potluck, I could not always find time to show how much we appreciate your support, here, three awards for you, hope to see you in of week 7, our theme is love and romance. Happy Monday, Happy Blogging! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/halloween-party-at-jingle-poetry-monday-poetry-potluck-tomorrow/

    Happy Halloween to you.
    Hope to see you at our poetry potluck Halloween party tonight. Post a poem on Halloween, or share an old poem unrelated to the theme, link in as soon as we are open, that’s how you get the best result of feedback.
    Feel free to take any awards from this post, enjoy!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete