8/9/10

Free Writing.

I'm out of breath, and out of words, and every building annex is a quiet escape from the tornadoes. The past fourteen days have been like a speeding whirlpool in a deep, chaotic sea of colorless waves. Last night, especially, was when I felt it.
I was so quiet. So shy. So antisocial. I was worried of tying up my tongue, saying the wrong words. Blushing like warm summer tomatoes. And so I sat, eating dinner, four little children at the table to my right, and seven others laughing and reminiscing. I was silent, blue eyes staring at my plate. The little pieces of mango and black beans. I watched a lonely fly cling to the white cotton oxford next to me. The little guy, starved for attention. And then I thought to myself, I am feeling sorry for this little fly, and I should be contributing to the conversation at hand, or shooing it away at least. But I couldn't, I couldn't think of one thing to say. My introvert personality crowding my thoughts. I wish that I didn't get like this, at times. 
I'm excited for the upcoming week, however. Silence and bare shoulders and scabbed knees and bristle cone pines. Ten or fifteen flashing lights, like healthy comets, focusing and refocusing and delicately learning. Insanely high altitude, and my blonde hair whipping around my lips and tangling in my lashes. A different setting, a different lifestyle, if only for four or five days. And now I'm home, finally home from the busy weekend and the busy dinners. My home away from home, for a few more hours, before I leave for the city again. Writing, and tracing mosaic shapes on the furniture, and talking to my mother about which classes I should be taking, and trying to find my textbooks online. And I'm in a good place right now, even with all of these natural disasters of hearts raging around me, with everyone I know clinging to the trenches. I'm bringing the colors back. The hues are returning, I'm feeling better.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Madison,

    You have a very soothing style to your writing. You've reminded me of some olden times and some more recent ones of university.

    There is nothing wrong with being shy or introvert - reflect and relax as needed. I know how awkward it can be, I'm often shy myself. Glad to hear you are feeling much better. The last line was very vivid by the way, reminded me of a distant past. Words I'll remember. As they say, keep up the good work.

    All the best
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi madison! your writing inspires me. i like your voice :) and i gave you an award that is located here:
    www.circlingthecuckoosnest.blogspot.com

    keep it up!
    Templeton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison,

    Thank you for sharing your reflections. You write beautifully, and I'm happy you are bringing the colors back. The ability to assess your feelings let's you do that! Sometimes feelings overwhelm us, and other times, we can choose how to feel.

    You open and close this free writing with powerful lines, and beautiful lines in between. I love the way you express your thoughts: "Silence and bare shoulders and scabbed knees and bristle cone pines. Ten or fifteen flashing lights, like healthy comets, focusing and refocusing and delicately learning..."

    When I was younger, I had difficulty in large groups deciding what to say, and feeling bottled up. Now, when I'm silent, I am comfortable with it, and I speak when I have something to say. It will happen for you, realizing that silence is okay. Sometimes a smile or a touch keeps you actively engaged. People need listeners, too. Many people, like you or me, speak more freely one on one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautifully written, Madison! Sometimes the world in our own heads is enough for us, and reaching beyond it feels a challenge. I too, have felt 'out of breath, and out of words', and have learned that silence is acceptable and necessary on occasion. I'm wishing you space in your life to be still...

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been craving your words and I didn't even realize it. I've been stuck in this cesspool of not feeling "like myself" and I haven't been able to read or write without getting distracted.

    I've been feeling antisocial lately too. And the way you tie words together in a way that is so beautiful and familiar is comforting, even if it's a reflection of what's going on in my own mind.

    The hues are returning though, just as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Madi, my sight is refreshed with your words, thoughts and feelings. Thank you for the salve of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I'm bringing the colors back"

    I love that.

    ReplyDelete